Thursday, 12 June 2014

Alternative Ork models part one

ORKS IZ DA BEST! ORKS IZ DA BESTEST! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!

*Cough* Sorry for the interruption but I've gained a brand new 'assistant manager' in the form of Gorthunk the flyboy and he's rather excited about the upcoming Ork Codex from Games Workshop.

YOU PANCY 'UMIES NEEDS BE TAUGHT A LESSUN 'BOUT PROPA ORKS! SO I RECRUITED DIS HERE SMARTBOY 'UMIE TO DO THE WRITIN' AND SEARCHIN ON THE WEBBY THINGY AND STUFF WOT SMARTBOYZ DO.

Well, yes, whatever... In any case, while I  normally avoid Games Workshop like a plague of biblical proportions, nothing sets off my former fanboy more than Orks. I just love the style, the background, the dark humour, the aesthetics, well just about everything. It's Orks! Any wargamer worth anything should have a soft spot for orcs!

ORKSES ARE HARD AND KILLY, NOT SOFT LIKE PINKIE 'UMIES!

Thing is though, there are tons of companies besides GW that makes models that fit perfectly in an Ork army and in my never-ending quest to spread the word, I will now present some of those companies to you, my dear readers.



First off is Mantic Games, the king of cheap wargaming models if you believe the hype. Personally I find no reason to doubt their claim and their Ork equivalent, Marauders, are certainly far cheaper than Games Workshop's. Their selection of models is not very big, really just basic infantry and some buggies but they are good value and lends themselves well to big armies without having to sell two kidneys, your left arm and your soul to Games Wor..., I mean the devil.

ORKSES ARE NEVER BEATEN IN BATTLE, CUZ WE ARE MANY!



Second is one of my favourite suppliers of resin-crack to fuel my addiction, Puppets War. Their selection of Orks is perhaps not the biggest but all of them are cool and full of character and are usually well priced. I mean how could you not like the above model? If nothing else, it would make an excellent Deffkopta.

ZOG ME, THAT IZ A SMALL FIGHTA-BOMMA! GOTZ TA GET ME ONE OF THEM SAWBLADES ON ME OWN FLYER. SHOULD WORK LIKE IT A TREAT!




Tobsen77 Miniatures is certainly not the first company that comes to mind when talking about Orks but a good deal of their models are strange and/or quirky enough that they should work in an Ork army after a decent conversion. And any Ork player of worth know how to convert models.

THAT IZ ALMOST ORKY! JUST NEEDS SUM EXTRA DAKKA, AND SUM GLYPHS AN' DAGS AND SUM RED PAINT AND IT WILL GO LIKE A PROPA WAAGH!



Iron Clad Miniatures has an entire range of Victorian Sci-Fi models that also includes Steam Tanks, many of which are just a simple conversion away from being perfect Ork vehicles.

Now I need to stop. Gorthunk is having a staring contest with my cat and it looks like he's going to loose...

YOU SODDIN' FLAMIN' GIT OF A FURBALL, I'LL TEACH YOUZ TA MESS WITH ORKS! WAAAGH!

And there he goes off. Be back in a while with more Orky stuff!



1 comment:

  1. have you see da green one though.
    I bought some models off of them last week and they are good too. da-green-one.com

    ReplyDelete